The vineyards

The sub-soils of Château Tour Saint-Fort’s 14-hectare vineyard are 80% clay over what is referred to as Saint-Estèphe limestone. This is what gives it its distinctive identity and unique features. The remaining 20% are gravelly and clay-gravel soils located in two other parts of the village, near the chateau.

Since 2016, every effort has been made in the vineyard to produce quality fruit whilst showing respect for the environment.

The methods and choice of techniques have undergone a sea-change and the vineyards are in the process of being rejuvenated.

The varietal range currently comprises 31% of Cabernet-Sauvignon, 59% of Merlot noir, 7% Petit Verdot and 4% Cabernet Franc. On average, the vines are over 50 years old for the Château Tour Saint-Fort and over 20 years old for the Baron d’Estours du Château Saint-Fort, the second wine.

Vineyard management